If you enjoy good food, Middleburg, VA should undoubtedly be on your list of small towns to visit in America. Middleburg Restaurants are earning accolades and winning the hearts and stomachs of both locals and visitors. From popular happy hours to multicourse meals at destination dining places, there is something for everyone. Middleburg, VA restaurants offer delicious food in various settings-causal dining, fine dining, outdoor dining, and pick up and go. In this article, we talk about some of our favorite restaurants in Middleburg, VA, and the places we plan to visit when we return.
King Street Oyster Bar
You have to go here when you visit Middleburg! The locals love it, and it is a fan favorite throughout most of the DMV. The Virginia Living Magazine voted it one of the best oyster bars west of DC. It’s low-key and no-frills but excellent food!
People flock here for their daily happy hour with $5 food and drinks and $1 KSOB oysters. I enjoyed the chargrilled oysters and the KYOB oysters, BUT my absolute favorite was their crabcake sliders. They were so good that we came back a second time. I also really like their spinach dip. If you have a house divided like us of seafood lovers and haters, don’t fret. They also have things like wings, burgers, and chicken fingers. LJ enjoyed the chicken fingers so much that he had multiple orders of them.
- Address: 1 E Washington St, Middleburg, VA 20117-2679
- Phone Number: +1 540-883-3156
- Cost: $$ – $$$
- Popular Time To Go: Saturday Evenings
When you walk into Market Salamander, the decor, open kitchen, and delicious aromas give you the feeling of being at a market in Italy. In addition to the delicious food that they serve, they also have gourmet honey, jams, and wine for purchase. We had a simple breakfast of eggs, bacon, and biscuits, but made to perfection. It was so good that it took me back to memories of my grandmother and great aunt’s breakfast throughout my childhood.
The lunch and dinner menu has a selection of sandwiches, soups, salads, pizza, burgers, and entrees of salmon, crab cakes, grilled chicken, etc. They also offer family-style meals that you can order for pickup and picnic packages, which we would take advantage of if we went in the summer.
Occasionally, they offer special dinners with wine pairing, so give them a call if you want to find out if they have anything going on while you’re in Middleburg.
- Address: 200 West Washington Street, Middleburg, VA 20117
- Phone Number: +1 540-687-8011
- Cost: $$ – $$$
- Popular Time To Go: Early Saturday Afternoons
- Good To Know: Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
Middleburg Common Grounds
This is the local coffee shop, stocked with your favorite morning drinks, breakfast, and sandwiches. While you can choose from several bread options, the standard is ciabatta, making them stand out from other coffee shops.
- Address: 114 W Washington St, Middleburg, VA 20117-2672
- Phone Number: +1 540-687-7065
- Cost: $
- Popular Time To Go: Early Saturday
Gold Cup Wine Bar
This lively sports bar is located inside of the Salamander Resort and Spa. It has your typical bar food, along with sushi, sandwiches, and entrees to cater to both carnivores and vegetarians.
There are billiards and pool tables for guest entertainment. If interested, call to make sure that they are open before your visit. When we went, they were closed due to COVID.
- Address: 500 N Pendleton St, Middleburg, VA 20117-2683
- Phone Number: +1 540-687-3600
- Cost: $$-$$$
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
You can feel the history in the ambiance of the dining rooms. So, we weren’t too shocked when we learned that The Red Fox Inn & Tavern is over 275 years old and the oldest continuously operated inn in the US. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Both Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Kennedy Onassis used to frequent the inn when they went fox hunting.
Many consider it to be destination dining because of its history and seasonal tasting menu. Locals love the Red Fox, and nearly everyone that we spoke with recommended it. We did the Spring Tasting Menu. It was an excellent opportunity to try items that we don’t usually eat, like quail and duck. But the al carte menu also sounded pretty tasty, so it was hard to choose!
- Address: 2 East Washington Street, Middleburg, VA 20117
- Phone Number: +1 540-687-6301
- Cost: $$$
Harrimans at the Salamander
Harrimans gets 5 Stars across the board from us! It’s perfect for date night and special occasion dinners. Both the service and food are incredible. They use the freshest ingredients, many of which come from their onsite garden. A large portion of their meat selection is from a local butcher, and the cheese options come from a nearby farm. What more could you ask for in terms of farm-to-table!
We had a date night in one of their private dining rooms. Our waitress, Anna, was so sweet and helpful, and the surf and turf were one of the best that I’ve had. They offer some of the finest wines and champagnes. But, it’s also worth noting that they have delicious mocktails. Perfect for expecting moms and non-drinkers.
- Address: 500 N Pendleton St, Middleburg, VA 20117
- Phone Number: +1 540-326-4070
- Cost: $$$$
Goodstone Inn and Restaurant
The Northern VA Magazine ranks this gourmet farm-to-table restaurant as one of the best restaurants in VA. They offer a robust al carte menu, as well as four, five, and six-course tasting menus with wine pairings for dinner. The pricing ranges from $115 to $225 per person. For lunch, there is a three-course tasting menu.
- Address: 36205 Snake Hill Rd, Middleburg, VA 20117-36451
- Phone Number: +1 844-398-2723
- Cost: $$$
Restaurants in Middleburg, VA with Outdoor Seating
- King Street Oyster Bar
- Market Salamander
- Middleburg Common Grounds
- Gold Cup Wine Bar
- The Red Fox Tavern
A few other Tasty Eateries near Middleburg
- Field & Main (8369 W Main St, Marshall, VA 20115-3256) – One of the best seafood curries that I’ve had in America! I thought I was in Thailand for a minute. LJ enjoyed the chimichurri skirt steak. Pro Tip: If going on a weekend, book a few weeks out to get seating in one of their outdoor cabin.
- Red Truck Bakery (8368 W Main St, Marshall, VA 20115-3222) – This bakery is a favorite of Oprah’s and has been recognized in several magazines for being one of America’s Best Small Town Bakeries. Even President Obama shouted them out. The rum cake and brownies were yummy! We would have tried more things if they weren’t sold out:-( Get there early or order the night before to have the best selection!
- Tuscorora Mill (203 Harrison St SE, Leesburg, VA 20175-3746) – Its affectionally known as Tuskies by locals.
- Mocatinas (3 E Market St, Leesburg, VA 20176-3013) – The CUTEST dessert and gift shop! We wanted everything but went with the s’more macaroons. So good!
Wineries with Food Options
If you are planning a trip to Middleburg, VA, you likely want to check out some of the wineries as well. If you are super hungry, I’d recommend eating beforehand, but if there is no time for that, here’s what you can expect. Of the wineries in Middleburg, VA, Chrysaliswine Vineyard seems to have the largest selection of food on the menu, and they do not allow outside food. Boxwood Winery, Greenhill Vineyards, and Canva Vineyards all offer light fares such as baguette sandwiches and cheese and charcuterie boards. They also allow you to bring outside food.
We hope you love eating your way through Middleburg, VA as much as we did! Here is our complete Travel Guide to Middleburg, VA in case you need more information on Middleburg.
This post was sponsored by the Virginia Tourism Corporation. All opinions are our own.