Are you looking for a fantastic way to show your spouse or significant other some love? A surprise trip is one of the best ways to do it. While surprise trips are fun and exciting, planning them can be stressful because you want to make sure your loved one will enjoy the trip while also keeping it a secret.
So, how do you plan a surprise trip for your spouse or significant other? One of the hardest parts of planning a surprise trip for your partner is keeping it a secret. The following steps can help you plan the perfect surprise getaway:
- Start planning well in advance.
- Find a few helping hands.
- Create a new email address.
- Use a payment option you don’t share with your partner.
- Find out your partner’s free time.
- Plan a budget for your trip.
- Pick a destination that you know your partner will love.
- Make an itinerary for your vacation days.
- Pack secretly.
Planning a romantic getaway surprise isn’t easy — especially if both of you have busy schedules. However, this article will tell you how to plan a surprise trip for your lover that is guaranteed to be a success!
9 Steps to Plan a Surprise Trip for Your Spouse or Significant Other
Instead of making random moves that might blow your secret, follow these steps to help you skip the overwhelming part of planning and allow you to put together the perfect surprise trip.
1. Start Planning Well in Advance
Planning your trip early is crucial for its success. You have a higher chance of making it work, and the eleventh-hour stress is avoided.
Some of the benefits of planning your surprise trip early are:
- Since early booking is generally cheaper, you’ll save money.
- You’ll have more opportunities to travel at any date and to any destination.
- Most holiday destinations provide exclusive events during holidays that are limited to early bookers.
2. Find a Few Helping Hands
Does the success of your surprise trip depend on the help of family or friends? Ask the most reliable (and trustworthy) people to help you plan the trip. For instance, if you need someone to bring the luggage to the airport secretly, they can help get it there for you without your loved one knowing.
However, minimize the number of people who know about the surprise as much as possible. Only tell someone if it’s necessary – it is a critical secret after all.
3. Create a New Email Address
To keep your plans secret, you should create a new email address for all of the bookings and other correspondence regarding the trip. You don’t want an email about the trip being sent to an account that your spouse or significant other can access. Also, never leave the email up when you leave your computer because they can easily see it.
4. Use a Payment Option That You Don’t Share
One of the biggest mistakes you can make when planning a surprise trip is using a shared credit or debit card. Your loved one might see a notification of the transactions and ask questions. Instead, use an account that you don’t share with your spouse or use other payment options available.
5. Find Out Your Partner’s Free Time
If your partner is the type to write down their to-do lists and weekly plans, this won’t be hard. Do some detective work on their phone or calendar and find the times that they are free. But what if the schedule of your significant other is usually unpredictable? That’s when you ask them to take the time off for something else or if possible you can arrange the time off with their company.
6. Pick a Budget for Your Trip
Planning the trip with no regard for the expenses could backfire on you and make your loved one upset about the money spent. Create a budget that works with the living expenses that you and your spouse or significant other have. Also, book early to grab a bargain and keep your budget small.
7. Pick a Special Destination
It can be difficult to decide on a surprise trip location. Where does your spouse want to go? Would they like to swim with turtles in Cancun, or would they rather spend weekend nights in Las Vegas? Make sure to consider your loved one’s wants when choosing the destination.
If you listen to the things that excite your partner, you may remember their dream travel plans from past conversations. However, your spouse could be the type that doesn’t care much about trips. If this is the case, you may have to create a conversation to learn where they would love to go.
Be sure to choose a destination that will be special to you and your partner. A place away from home that the two of you can both enjoy is worth going to more than any other traditionally “magical place.” Just because a certain destination is popular doesn’t mean that it is right for you and your loved one.
8. Make an Itinerary for Your Vacation Days
If you don’t plan your days, you can end up with spontaneity that might become too hectic to be romantic. Choose activities that are special to your partner. You can also plan a variety of activities to partake in so that your spouse can choose what they’d most like to do.
If your partner likes adventure, make it happen. If they’d love a quiet treat day, plan a couple’s massage and a phone-free dinner.
9. Pack Secretly
Now, this is the hard part. How do you take their clothes without them knowing? You can pack the things they won’t notice are gone, and you can do it when they are not at home.
You can also pack the stuff you know they will need first and ask them to grab a few things the moment you reveal the surprise. If they need special clothes for outings that are planned, you can let them know.
If your spouse is particular about how he or she dresses and you aren’t the stylist in the family, tell them a week or two (shipping takes time. lol) before the trip what to pack and the weather. For instance, please pack 3 days worth of clothing (dinner, casual and beachwear) for a warm climate.
Surprise Trip Ideas for Your Significant Other
You now know how to plan a surprise trip successfully, but you may be struggling with destination ideas. Not all romantic trips have to be in exotic places. Some trip ideas that you can consider are listed below.
Road trips are great for adventurous couples. Reigniting love on the road can be genuinely romantic. Pack some gear that’ll come in handy and drive off into the sunset. If you don’t know where to go, here are three great road trip ideas:
- Ride down the Pacific Coast Highway for breathtaking ocean views.
- Travel Route 66 and drive until you cannot drive anymore.
- Explore the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Does your partner appreciate wine creation and tasting? You can take them to Napa Valley and spice it up with the Wine Train for an epic memory. Even better, take them for a special wine tasting experience at these exclusive wineries:
- Vizcarra Vineyards in Niagara Wine Trail
- Brutocao Cellars Hopland tasting room in Hopland, California
- Cellardoor Winery in Lincolnville, Maine
- Horn Winery in Hye, Texas
- Santos Wines in Santorini, Greece
- The Winelands in South Africa
From bathing under the sun in Botswana to spending a night in a European ice hotel, there are several romantic travel ideas if you enjoy exploring diverse cultures. You can check these out:
- A Date in the Sahara Desert in Morocco
- Experience nature through the glasshouses in Candlewood Cabins, Wisconsin
- A candlelit dinner on the beach
- Visit Paris, France – the city of romance
- The Getaway House in different locations throughout the US
- Go on dates all weekends in one America’s friendliest and most underrated cities
To see other romantic experiences, read more here.
Is your spouse the artistic type? If so, art galleries and spectacular museums are places they would love. There are museums and galleries all over the world that can inspire awe in anyone. Try visiting one of these five galleries and museums:
- Gagosian Gallery, which has 17 galleries worldwide
- Storm King Art Center in New York
- Selby Fleetwood Gallery in New Mexico
- The Contemporary Austin in Texas
- David Zwirner Gallery in Paris, New York, London, or Hong Kong
Planning a surprise trip for your spouse or significant other doesn’t have to be stressful! If you follow these steps, you will be able to plan a surprise romantic getaway that is catered to your partner with no issues.