Here you will find 50 unforgettable and creative date ideas to experience with your love in Italy.
If you google “most romantic countries”, Italy is sure to pop up and if you google “most romantic cities”, you will see at least five cities in Italy on the list. With so many options to create special memories and go on epic dates, it can be hard to choose one or even three! That’s why we called our friend, Sierra, curator of authentic experiences in Italy and founder of Creative Edge Travel to get her recommendations on the best date ideas and experiences in Italy. She sent us back a list of over 50 AMAZING ideas.
If you want to see the details for our favorite ten, click here. Otherwise, send her a note to learn more about any of the incredible experiences listed below:
1. Ride a Vespa up to Fiesole, a small village with an amazing view over Florence.
2. Spend an evening at a countryside farm lingering over dishes made with their own organic products.
3. Get crafty and play with fire in a metal-smithing workshop with a master artisan.
4. Gather chestnuts in the rarely-visited mountains of northern Tuscany and hike to an abandoned stone mill where they used to grind them into flour. Then learn traditional chestnut flour recipes and cook outdoors by a stream.
5. Hang out with a local to learn beautiful Italian phrases to woo your boo over homemade pastries and coffee.
6. Join a dinner party with locals at a Tuscan cottage overlooking Florence.
7. Take a bookmaking workshop to create a handmade photo album of your trip.
8. Take a flock of sheep on a walk through an olive grove before lingering over a homemade lunch, including their own cheese and olive oil!
9. Visit a market with a nonna (Italian grandma) and head to her countryside cottage for a cooking class.
10. Explore your inner Leonardo with a painting or sketching lesson.
11. Immerse yourselves with an Artisan Walk, stopping by several studios to see how they’re still doing things the traditional way and ending with Prosecco in a scenic spot.
12. Spend a day at a countryside farm with a wine tasting, live folk concert, and a lesson on how to do the traditional dance.
13. Pick a random village on the map that you’ve never heard of and go – Italy is full of surprises!
14. Enjoy la dolce vita with a cooking class in the Chianti countryside followed by a private opera performance just for you!
15. Step inside a historic, privately-owned villa. A member of the family will take you through the villa, ending with coffee/tea or a lunch.
16. Indulge your sweet tooth with a gelato-making workshop.
17. Visit a silk factory that has been weaving incredible textiles since 1786.
18. Join a class to make your own leather bracelets or keychains.
19. Cruise along the Italian coast, go fishing with locals, and have a bubbly toast at sunset before dining on the fish you just caught!
20. Go truffle hunting then devour a truffle-themed homemade dinner.
21. Get active together with a bike tour to wineries and farms for tastings.
22. Step behind-the-scenes in a butcher’s shop for a speakeasy restaurant experience with jaw dropping views.
23. Visit a chocolate factory.
24. Bask in the romance with a candlelit dinner in an olive grove or amongst the vines.
25. Roll up your sleeves for a fun pizza-making lesson right at your B&B.
26. Visit a historic salt flat to learn how sea salt is harvested then watch the sunset reflected in the pools as you sip local Marsala wine.
27. Spend a day visiting sea caves and hidden beaches accessible only by boat.
28. Visit the studios within a historic 15th century “palazzo” to learn how important works of art are being restored. Connect with the Renaissance through a hands-on workshop to learn a painting technique used on many buildings and frescoes in Florence.
29. Watch the sunset behind an ancient stone village from inside a neolithic cave.
30. Hike to an abandoned abbey built on the site of a pagan temple to Jupiter.
31. Explore an abandoned village.
32. Go on a street food or bakery tour.
33. Learn how to make your favorite Italian cocktails like aperol spritz and bellini, or connect with your caffeinated side by learning about the various coffee drinks you can order in Italy.
34. Go bar-hopping to the city’s nightlife hot spots, organized by a local.
35. Have a couples’ photoshoot in a romantic village or field of poppies.
36. Hang out in the local park with wine and cheese or a full-blown picnic of products selected by a local.
37. Soak in natural hot springs or spend a day at a historic spa.
38. Visit a caper farm and taste Sicilian recipes.
39. Enjoy an aperitivo on a boat as you watch a volcanic island erupt at night.
40. Lose yourselves in the sights, sounds, and smells of a local market.
41. See a play performed on the Arno River in Florence as you float underneath the Ponte Vecchio.
42. Do your own gelato tour to decide which gelateria is the best!
43. Partake in a local “sagra”, a festival in a small village to celebrate the harvest of its local specialty product or dish.
44. Get bespoke handmade items made just for you. Have fun picking the leather for a handbag, the style of custom-made shoes, or the color of a fun hat.
45. Walk through the hills of inland Sicily, stopping to meet local farmers along the way and ending with a wine tasting and lunch in an exclusive and scenic spot.
46. Have a dessert picnic after dinner while enjoying some stargazing.
47. Spend the day working with an artisan in his/her workshop.
48. Get your adrenaline pumping with the “Flight of the Angels”, a zipline from one mountaintop village to the next (Pietrapertosa to Castelmezzano) in Southern Italy.
49. Join locals to pick cherries or participate in the local harvest.
50. Have a gourmet picnic in your own private cave on a beach or amongst ancient vines or olive trees.
We hope you loved this list as much as we do. Let us know in the comments which ideas are your favorite.
LJ and I have both been to Italy several times and actually never thought of most of these ideas. There are literally an endless amount of creative date ideas to experience in Italy. Thank you Sierra and Creative Edge Travel for reinforcing why Italy is such a special place to explore. Folks, if you are looking to make your experience truly unforgettable, you know who to call!
This is list was curated by Sierra, authority on travel in Italy and Founder of Creative Edge Travel. This immersive travel company helps you think outside the guidebook to get off-the-map and into the everyday life of authentic Italy. We are grateful that Sierra was able to share some amazing date ideas with us and you.
Creative Edge Travel offers small group trips with 5-7 people in the lesser-known areas of Italy, as well as custom trip planning. Their mission is to help you have a more meaningful travel experience at the crossroads of sustainable tourism and cultural conservation! Details and pricing vary depending on season and availability, please reach out to Creative Edge Travel for Cost and Booking Details.